Sheriff's Office

Law enforcement services to all areas of Adams County


Sheriff: Ryan Zollman
Phone: (208) 253-4228 ext 4160

Under Sheriff:  Jeff Brown
Phone: (208) 253-4228 ext 4161

Courthouse Location:

201 Industrial Ave.
Council, ID 83612

Mail To: 

Adams County Courthouse
PO Box 64
Council, ID 83612

Phone: 911 – Emergencies
Normal Business (208) 253-4227
     Dispatch – Press 2
Jail – (208) 253-4168
Drivers Licenses – (208) 253-4163

(208) 253-1141 – Driver’s License
(208) 253-4370 – Jail and Dispatch

Office Hours:
8:00 am – 11:30am,
Noon – 4:30pm
Monday – Friday


Driver’s License and ID Services

The County Sheriff’s Office is responsible for issuing Idaho driver’s licenses, Idaho State identification cards and driver’s license permits. The office is located in the Sheriff’s Office in the Adams County Courthouse in Council. Office hours are from 8:00 am – 11:30; 12:15– 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

All Idaho residents who plan to drive motor vehicles are required to obtain a valid Idaho driver’s license. Anyone who moves here from another state and holds a valid driver’s license from that state have 90 days (30 days for Commercial Driver’s Licenses) during which to obtain an Idaho driver’s license and surrender his or her out-of-state license. Exceptions are active duty members of the US military and their dependents and students who claim residency in other states.

Required Documentation
Written driver’s tests are given in the Driver’s License office. Applicants for first-time Idaho licenses must provide the following prior to taking the driver’s test:

  1. A Social Security card (in the applicant’s current name);
  2. Proof of residency (utility bills, lease or purchase agreements, etc.);
  3. Proof of age and identity (including a driver’s license or identification card not expired more than one year; a certified birth certificate or abstract birth certificate; a valid Immigration and Naturalization card; a valid military ID with photo; a Veteran’s Universal Access Card with photo. Other documents which can be used to substantiate age and identify are listed in the Idaho Drivers Manual).

If the applicant is under 17 years of age, proof of completion of an approved driver training course which meets Idaho Department of Education guidelines must also be provided.

If the applicant is 18 or younger proof of enrollment in or graduation from a recognized school or drivers program is required.

Vision and Written Tests
Applicants must take a vision test, with or without glasses.

First-time and out-of-state applicants must take a written test to show knowledge of Idaho traffic laws, recognition of highway signs, etc. (Some others may also be required to take the written test.)

Those who want to obtain Idaho Class A, B or C licenses must also know the information found in the Commercial Driver’s License Manual.

Those who want to obtain a driver’s license with a motorcycle endorsement, required for the operation of any motorcycle with an engine displacement greater than 51cc, must take the written motorcycle test regardless of whether such an endorsement was previously issued in another state.

Road Tests
Road skill tests are required for those whose previous license has been expired for one year or more, first time drivers who have not completed driver training or when the examiner has some reason to believe the applicant may lack the skills or knowledge necessary to operate a vehicle safely.

The Driver’s License office has a list of private skills testers who provide the testing for this requirement.

A motorcycle safety rider course is required for applicants under 21 years of age who are seeking a motorcycle endorsement or adding this endorsement for the first time.

Licensing Fees

  • Class D license or renewal $ 30.00
  • Class D renewal by mail $ 31.00
  • Duplicate Class D $ 12.00
  • Motorcycle endorsement $ 15.00
  • Identification card $ 10.00*Written test $ 3.00
  • *Road test $ 14.50
  • *Motorcycle skills test $ 5.00

*These fees are not refundable if the test is failed. The fee is required for each re-test.

Cash, personal checks and money orders are accepted.

Additional information may be found in the Idaho drivers’ manuals which are available at the Driver’s License office. Or, you may call the office at (208) 253-4227.

Registration of sex offenders also takes place in the Driver’s License office.