Home | Assessor | Building | Clerk-Auditor-Recorder | Commissioners | Coroner | Judicial
Prosecutor | Sheriff | Treasurer | Services & Information | County-Past & Present | Index | Links


Sheriff's Office


Ryan Zollman
208-253-4228 ext 4160

Under Sheriff:

Jeff Brown
208-253-4228 ext 4161

Mail To:

Adams County Courthouse
PO Box 64
Council, ID 83612


911 - Emergencies
(208) 253-4227 Normal Business
Dispatch - Press 2
Jail - 253-4168
Drivers Licenses - 253-4163


(208) 253-1141 - Driver's License
(208) 253-4370 - Jail and Dispatch

Office Hours:

Drivers Licensing & Civil:
8:00 -11:30 am; Noon - 4:30 pm
Monday - Friday.

Dispatch/Jail: 24/7

Sex Offenders Search

Description of Office

The Adams County Sheriff’s Office provides law enforcement services to all the unincorporated areas of the county as well as to the communities within the county. In addition, deputies patrol the Hell’s Canyon Recreational Area, including two dams, which are within the County’s jurisdiction. They often work in cooperation with Baker County, Oregon authorities in this area.

Civil Service: Sheriff’s deputies serve a variety of papers including subpoenas and summonses, warrants, protection orders, detention orders, notices to vacate, small claims and writs.

Additional responsibilities include the County Jail, Emergency Services and Driver’s License/ID Services.

Division Directors :

Dispatch Supervisor: Casual Merritt - cmerritt@co.adams.id.us

Drivers License and Civil: Ltcivil@co.adams.id.us

Jail Division: sogden@co.adams.id.us

Patrol Division: byoakum@co.adams.id.us

Marine Division: sphilips@co.adams.id.us

Return To Top

Driver’s License/ID Services

The County Sheriff’s Office is responsible for issuing Idaho driver’s licenses, Idaho State identification cards and driver’s license permits. The office is located in the Sheriff’s Office in the Adams County Courthouse in Council. Office hours are from 8:00 am – 11:30; 12:15– 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

All Idaho residents who plan to drive motor vehicles are required to obtain a valid Idaho driver’s license. Anyone who moves here from another state and holds a valid driver’s license from that state have 90 days (30 days for Commercial Driver’s Licenses) during which to obtain an Idaho driver’s license and surrender his or her out-of-state license. Exceptions are active duty members of the US military and their dependents and students who claim residency in other states.

Required Documentation
Written driver
’s tests are given in the Driver’s License office. Applicants for first-time Idaho licenses must provide the following prior to taking the driver’s test:
1 A Social Security card (in the applicant
’s current name);
2. Proof of residency (utility bills, lease or purchase agreements, etc.);
3. Proof of age and identity (including a driver
’s license or identification card not expired more than one year; a certified birth certificate or abstract birth certificate; a valid Immigration and Naturalization card; a valid military ID with photo; a Veteran’s Universal Access Card with photo. Other documents which can be used to substantiate age and identify are listed in the Idaho Drivers Manual).

If the applicant is under 17 years of age, proof of completion of an approved driver training course which meets Idaho Department of Education guidelines must also be provided.

If the applicant is 18 or younger proof of enrollment in or graduation from a recognized school or drivers program is required.

Vision and Written Tests
Applicants must take a vision test, with or without glasses.

First-time and out-of-state applicants must take a written test to show knowledge of Idaho traffic laws, recognition of highway signs, etc. (Some others may also be required to take the written test.)

Those who want to obtain Idaho Class A, B or C licenses must also know the information found in the Commercial Driver’s License Manual.

Those who want to obtain a driver’s license with a motorcycle endorsement, required for the operation of any motorcycle with an engine displacement greater than 51cc, must take the written motorcycle test regardless of whether such an endorsement was previously issued in another state.

Road Tests
skill tests are required for those whose previous license has been expired for one year or more, first time drivers who have not completed driver training or when the examiner has some reason to believe the applicant may lack the skills or knowledge necessary to operate a vehicle safely.

The Driver’s License office has a list of private skills testers who provide the testing for this requirement.

A motorcycle safety rider course is required for applicants under 21 years of age who are seeking a motorcycle endorsement or adding this endorsement for the first time.

Licensing Fees
Class D license or renewal $ 30.00
Class D renewal by mail $ 31.00
Duplicate Class D $ 12.00
Motorcycle endorsement $ 15.00
Identification card $ 10.00

**Written test $ 3.00
**Road test $ 14.50
**Motorcycle skills test $ 5.00
**These fees are not refundable if the test is failed. The fee is required for each re-test.

Cash, personal checks and money orders are accepted.

Additional information may be found in the Idaho drivers
’ manuals which are available at the Driver’s License office. Or, you may call the office at (208) 253-4227.

Registration of sex offenders also takes place in the Driver’s License office.

Return To Top

Jail - Visitor Information

The Adams County Jail is located at the Courthouse, 201 Industrial Avenue in Council.

Visiting Hours

1:00 pm - 2:30 pm - Female visitation
2:30 pm - 4:00 pm - Male visitation

Tuesday and Thursday
Female Inmates 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm
Male Inmates 7:30 pm to 8:30 pm

Each inmate is allowed 20 minutes per visitation day.

Visitor Information
You need to bring a photo ID. Any juvenile needs to be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.

Inmates have access to a telephone to make outgoing collect calls only. Incoming calls to inmates are not allowed.

No items such as books, clothing, food items, etc. are allowed to be brought to the jail for inmates. If you wish to leave money for an inmate, contact the jail staff at the front desk. Only cash and money orders are accepted. No personal checks are allowed.

Return To Top

Other Links of Interest

Idaho State Police

McGruff Kid’s Safety

Return To Top






The following forms can be emailed to the investigating officer or to dispatch at acsodispatch@gmail.com .

There are two versions of each form. One is in Microsoft Word format which can be downloaded, filled in on the computer, and then emailed back. The other format is pdf for those who do not have a Word compatibility. You can print this out, fill it in and then mail back

Citizen's Report Form - Word Format   PDF

Written Request - Word Format   PDF


Return To Top

Home | Assessor | Building | Clerk-Auditor-Recorder | Commissioners | Coroner | Judicial
Prosecutor | Sheriff | Treasurer | Services & Information | County-Past & Present | Index | Links

© Adams County, Idaho. All rights reserved
Site Design by: High Desert Design, Mesa ID