Assessor's Office

Assessing real and personal property for tax purposes, titling and registration of vehicles


Stacy Swift Dreyer – Assessor

Location & Mailing Address:
201 Industrial Ave.
PO Box 46
Council, ID 83612
Phone: (208) 253-4271 Option 2
Fax: (208) 253-4361
Hours: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Monday- Friday

Department of Motor Vehicles
Location & Mailing Address:
201 Industrial Ave.
PO Box 46
Council, ID 83612
Phone: (208) 253-4271 Option 3
Hours: 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Monday- Friday

Motor Vehicles

The Assessor acts as an agent for the Idaho Department of Transportation in titling and registering vehicles (Adams County DMV). You may contact our office at (208)253-4272 or by mail at PO Box 46 Council, ID 83612. We are located at 201 Industrial Avenue in Council.

All vehicles that are operated or pulled on public highways must be titled and registered. This includes cars, trucks, motorcycles, travel trailers, pick-up mounted campers, motorhomes. Off-road motorcycles, snowmobiles, and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) model year 1991 and newer or sold after this date, are required to be titled. However, there are some exceptions. Utility trailers weighing under 2,000 lbs must also be registered but not titled. Contact Adams County DMV directly for additional information on these exceptions.

Any motorized boat used on Idaho waterways must be registered.

Any boat with a permanently attached mode of propulsion—inboard, inboard/outboard, sailboat, or personal watercraft–of the 2000 model year, or newer, that was purchased after January 1, 2000 must be titled. Model year 1999 and older boats with a permanently attached mode of propulsion may be optionally titled, if they are not exempt from titling.

Residency Requirements

For the purposes of vehicle registration and titling, you become a resident of Idaho when you have had your principle home within Idaho for 90 days (this does not include your workplace, vacation home, or part-time residence). You must register and title your vehicle within this time.

The Invasive Species sticker fee is included in the registration that is issued from us. If your boat does not need to be registered (under 12 feet and some other exceptions), you need to get the Invasive Species sticker from the Department of Parks & Recreation. All boats must have a sticker.

To Apply for Vehicle Registration and Title

The following is a list of required documents and fees:

  1. The title (for used vehicles). If recently purchased, it must be properly released by the previous owner and lienholder, if any; or the Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (for new vehicles) must be properly assigned by the dealer to the new owner. If a lienholder holds the title, bring the lienholders name, address and the loan number as this speeds thing up. If your title has been lost, you will need to apply for a duplicate title from the state of issuance.
  2. A Bill of Sale must include the vehicle description, sales price, buyer’s name, original signature of seller and date of sale.
  3. A Vehicle Identification Number Inspection must be completed by an officer of the law, DMV employee, military police officer, or any Idaho licensed dealer. This includes an odometer reading, which is required for motor vehicles less than 10 years old and under 16,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW).
  4. Sales Tax equal to 6 percent of the purchase price (plus Doc fees and minus the trade-in if purchased from a licensed dealer), documentation that at least 6 percent sales tax was paid to the state in which the vehicle was already titled in the owner’s name with an out-of-state address. If the vehicle has been owned for at least 3 months prior to moving to Idaho, sales tax is not applicable.
  5. The title fee is $14.00. VIN Inspection fee is $5.00. Bring your personal identification. This could be a driver’s license, identification card, etc. Titles ARE NOT PROCESSED without them.
  6. Bring cash or a check associated with a local bank for payment of the applicable taxes and fees. Coming soon, we will be accepting Credit & Debit cards at the counter.

If you have just purchased a vehicle, you must bring the vehicle title and a bill of sale to the Adams County DMV Office. If it has not already been collected, the sales tax from the sale will be collected at time of registration. If the title is from out of state, you must also bring the vehicle for a VIN inspection and odometer reading. If you purchased the vehicle from an Idaho dealer, please bring the pink temporary registration out of the back window, along with the plate number you wish to transfer, if any.

Late Filing Penalty

According to Idaho law a $20.00 late filing penalty will be charged if you have not completed title work in your name and you have been living in Idaho for 120 days. The late filing penalty applies to any Idaho resident who does not apply for title within 30 days of the purchase of either a titled vehicle or a titled vessel.

Registering and Titling Through the Mail

Idaho residents who are temporarily in another state (i.e., students or military personnel) may request titles and registrations for their vehicle(s) through the mail.
Lienholders located in another state who are financing a vehicle being titled in Idaho may title through the mail. If there is a lien recorded, the title will be mailed to the lienholder of record. If there is no lienholder recorded, the title will be mailed to the titled owner. The registration and license plates will be issued and mailed (if applied for through the mail) to the titled owner.

We also offer Internet renewals. CLICK HERE FOR ONLINE RENEWAL. You will need your renewal postcard that was sent to you and Your MasterCard, Visa, American Express or Discover card and billing address. There is a $1.00 + 3% bank fee fee charged plus your regular fee.

Duplicate Titles and Corrections

Only the owner or lienholder of record, or their appointed agent, may apply for a duplicate title in Idaho. To properly complete the duplicate title application, the owner or lienholder needs to have both the vehicle identification number and the title number (these can be found on the vehicle’s Idaho registration form). The duplicate application must be completed in full and include the applicant’s notarized signature. If a lienholder is shown on the title record, the duplicate title will be issued with the same lienholder and will be mailed to the lienholder unless the application is accompanied by either an original or verified copy of a satisfaction of lien signed by the lienholder of record. If a Power of Attorney is used to sign the duplicate application, either an original or verified copy of the completed Power of Attorney form must be submitted. If the error was caused by faulty information provided on the original application, an $8.00 title correction fee is required.

Recording Liens

To record a lien on an existing Idaho title, the lienholder name and address must be printed in the new lienholder section of the title. The title and an $8.00 fee should be mailed or brought into the Adams County Assessor’s Office so the new lienholder information can recorded on the title. Once title work is completed it will be mailed to the new lienholder of record.

VERY IMPORTANT: If a private party is selling to another private party and the seller is financing the vehicle, the seller should sign off on the title releasing interest in the vehicle and then immediately sign back on as the lienholder. A release of liability should then be filed with the local DMV or ITD. This form will release the seller from liability of the vehicle in the event the buyer does not title. On recent Idaho titles, this form is attached to the bottom of the original title. You may download a copy of this form by going to Once the title has been signed off, and the Release of Liability filed, then the seller will no longer be liable for the vehicle. If the seller does not complete these steps and allow the buyer to title in their name, the seller could remain liable for the vehicle until he releases his interest.

Registration Fees

The following are approximate yearly renewal fees. Two year registrations are available on some types of registrations. If registering for the first time, there will be additional fees. For exact fee amounts please contact Adams County DMV at (208) 253-4272.

  • Passenger cars: $33.25 to $57.25 (depending on vehicle age) for renewals.
  • Non-Commercial and Commercial Trucks: $57.25 for minimum weight option (up to 16,000 lbs.) Up to 54,000 Weight load may be registered at County level. For trucks above this weight level, customers will have to register through The One Stop Shop in Boise. Assistance is available at the Adams County DMV for customers who need help in registering with the One Stop Shop. Fees are calculated according to registration weight. These fees are prorated monthly. Contact Adams County for exact amounts.
  • Motorhomes: $33.25 to $57.25 (depending on vehicle age) plus RV sticker fee
  • Motorcycles: $24.25 renew
  • All ATVs: $15.00 restricted use plate. This includes $12 off-road sticker. The $3.00 plate is good for 7 years. The $12.00 off-road sticker is due at the end of every year.
  • Recreational camptrailers: $7.50 plus RV sticker fee* for renewals. Add $3.00 for new plates.
  • Boats: $30.00 + $1.50 admin fees (total $31.50) for boats up to 12 feet (plus $2 for each additional foot in length). This includes the Invasive Species fee.
  • Plate fee: $6.00 for large plates; $3.00 for small plates. Mailing fee: $3.00 for two plates; $1.75 for one large plate or small plates. Idaho law requires license plates be replaced every 7 years.

Recreational Vehicle Stickers:

  • Motorhome and RV trailer owners are required by the Parks and Recreation Department to purchase a recreational vehicle sticker which costs $8.50 for the first $1,000 of market value and $5.00 for each additional $1,000 of market value. These are available at all local DMV’s. RV stickers are prorated on a quarterly basis for first-time issuance. Market value is taken from the current NADA Recreational Vehicle Appraisal Guide.
  • Stickers for snowmobiles: $31.00 + $1.50 Admin fee (total $32.50) (October 31 to October 31)
  • Off-road vehicles (motorcycles & ATVs & UTVs): $12.00 (December 31 to December 31). As of 01-01-2009, there will be issued to ATV’s, UTV’s and also off highway motorcycles, a restricted use plate that enables you to operate them on secondary county roads along with forest roads, as long as you have a valid drivers license.

This will replace the now used motorcycle plate and/or off road sticker. It will be a combination registration. The first issue will be used by the county offices, then subsequent renewals can be obtained at Idaho Parks and Recreation vendors. The plate is $3.00 and off road sticker is $10.00.

Special Interest License Plates
You can obtain other types of license plates when you register your vehicle at the County DMV office. If you request a design other than the Standard design, there is an additional $35 initial fee upon issuance and an additional $25 renewal fee added to your regular registration fees each year. The additional fees will go towards the designated programs associated with each plate. For a complete list, you may go to

Both the special plates and personalized plates need to be ordered from Boise. A temporary slip is printed and to be placed in your back window until you receive your plates in the mail.

The initial fee for a personalized standard license plate is $25 in addition to the regular registration fees at the time of issuance and $15 in addition to the regular registration fees each renewal year.

Handicap Placard applications are available at Adams County DMV. They will need to be completed by the applicant and signed by their licensed physician. Once completed, the applicant may return the application to our office and a 30 day temporary will be issued. The permanent placard will be sent to them from the Idaho Transportation Department.

For first-time issuance of special plates (personalized, handicapped, disabled veteran, etc.) please contact the Idaho Department of Motor Vehicles in Boise at (208) 334-8606 or obtain an application from the Adams County DMV (208) 253-4272 or at 201 Industrial Avenue, PO Box 46, Council ID 83612.

For additional detailed information and forms, you can also visit the Idaho Transportation Department’s website at