History of Adams CountyA brief history of our County and Cities
Cuprum is a former copper mining town (cuprum is Latin for “copper”). It is located northwest of Council and at the south end of the Seven Devils mining district.
Cuprum began with a teamsters’ campsite. The post office was established in 1897, as was a copper smelter. Copper smelting was a big reason that it became a booming town with general stores, hotels, hospital/drug store, blacksmith shop, livery stables, assay office, six saloons, liquor store, laundry, barber shop, a newspaper, and several eating establishments. However, the operators failed to make the smelter continue and it was dismantled. When the mining boom ended, the population quickly declined.
Cuprum remains a thriving community and is a gateway to Black Lake and the Six Lakes Basin.