History of Adams CountyA brief history of our County and Cities
Bear, at 4,365 feet, is located about 28 miles northwest of Council. It boasted a post office from 1892 until 1966. The first settlers found plenty of black bears in the Bear and Bear Creek area.
Bear came into being with the Seven Devils mining boom. It was inhabited with many mine workers. Its first businesses included hotels and it soon had a post office which was housed in the general merchandise store.
Although Bear has had at least three different school buildings, the last Bear School also served as a public and church meeting place, theater, and dance hall. When the school closed and the Bear students were bussed down to Council, the old school was still used occasionally for dances and social gatherings.
Bear is a gateway to the Seven Devils area and is still a thriving community of private homes.